UK Indie punks show their gratitude to all aspects of music with new single.
The band’s forthcoming fifth studio album, Uncertain Joys, will drop very early in 2023. The album is available to preorder now.
Serving as a love letter to music and the many pleasures and reliefs that it can bring us, the track was recorded with a guitar made from wood that was reclaimed from the bar of much-missed Harlow venue The Square, where The Subways played their first-ever show.
Frontman Billy Lunn recently commented on the track. “Caught mid-wintertime during the pandemic, hibernating in the warmth of the band’s studio, I’d indulge in days’ worth of spinning my favourite artists’ records on my turntable. Following one particularly beautiful session, I felt compelled to express my gratitude for music itself.
“Not just the inspiration my favourite artists offer me as a songwriter, but all the various aspects music holistically offers us as people: the respite, the sense of belonging and being understood (and thus the validation), but also the mere aesthetic pleasure of the space between our ears being tended to.”
“Given that our first ever gig was on the hallowed stage of The Square in Harlow, which, following over a decade of Tory rule is now resigned to rubble,” says Lunn, “it felt only right to record my guitar parts with the guitar that had been built from the wood lifted from The Square’s bar. This guitar, built by local legend Murray Torkildsen, was lent to me by a very good friend, Adam Smith, who fought so hard to save The Square in its final days. It’s no coincidence that his handle online is ‘Black Wax’. Long live The Square. Long live music.”
With a busy summer of festival appearances across the UK and Europe, the band’s previously announced UK album tour dates have been rescheduled to January/February 2023. Tickets on sale now (see below for full listings).
Rescheduled Jan/Feb 2023 UK Headline Tour Dates
Uncertain Joys is out on 13th January 2023 via Alcopop! Records
Follow The Subways here…
Need more punk?
- Ooooooh So Magnificent! New Snuff albums planned
- SOD off!! Spear of Destiny are back with a new album
- Review: ‘Reality Cheques’ by Pulled Apart By Horses
- ‘Punks Listen’ to raise money for the Red Cross
- Kai Cult Unleashes Merciless New Single
- Rob Moss and Skin-Tight Skin release new album
- Latin Bands Honour Green Day’s Sophomore Album 30 Years On
- Ruts DC announce highly anticipated new album
- Skate punks Cigar return to visit
- Monkey Mind release new video ‘Black Clouds’
- PARKER Return With Anthemic New Single ‘Problems’
- Floggy Molly Partner With Ukrainian Filmmakers For ‘A Song Of Liberty’ Video
- HOODOO GURU’S Dave Faulkner and Brad Shepherd: My Punk Top Ten
- Interview: Pennywise Guitarist Fletcher Dragge
- The kids are alright as punk rocks The Horn at the Half Moo
Punktuation Magazine For All Your Daily Punk News, Features, Interviews, Lifestyle and more!