British black feminist punk band Big Joanie have a new single out that they promise is the first taste of what’s to come from them this year.
The trio’s new song ‘Happier Still’, with its captivating vocals, inventive guitar lines and driving beat, continues to mark the band out as one of UK punk’s most original bands and on this song they’re hoping to channel a positive mental attitude.
Singer and guitarist Stephanie Phillips said: “I started writing Happier Still after our first album came out in late 2018 and finished writing it while we were in Austin for SXSW 2019.
“This song is about wanting to break out of a depression and pushing yourself to feel better. I like the idea of chanting ‘I’ll feel fine’ and then hoping that will eventually turn things around.”
Big Joanie will soon release the follow up to 2018’s debut ‘Sistahs’, with their second record due out on the Daydream Library Series in the UK/EU and Kill Rock Stars everywhere else.
Ahead of that the band has a busy touring schedule, with dates supporting St. Vincent and UK appearances at Grace Jones’ Meltdown Festival and the Glastonbury Festival.
But unfortunately, gigs with Bikini Kill don’t look like they’ll happen after one of the legendary riot grrrl band picked up Covid forcing the cancellation of June EU/UK shows and an appearance at the Primavera Festival.
Follow Big Joanie on Their Socials
Need some more punk in your life?
- King Bull charge ahead with new single ‘Don’t Want You To Know’
- Norwegian punk bands Freedumb and Hella Rebelliön drop new singles
- Montreal’s These Fast Times Release ‘The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions’ EP.
- Buzzcocks are Back with a Brand New Album
- Young Pretorians are tuning off the idiot box
- Ukrainian Punk-Folk Quartet to play Glastonbury to raise money for Ukrainian army.
- WACO Reveal Video For New Single’ Hardships Will Happen’
- Neck Deep Are Back With New Single’ STFU’
- Interview: Simple Plan’s Chuck Comeau “I think that the whole concept was it ‘is’ harder than it looks.”
- The Flatliners roar back with ‘Performative Hours’
- The Hard-Ons Announce Western Australian Dates For August
- Punk Rock Lifers Beach Rats Share New Single
- Book Review: The Punk Rock Politics of Joe Strummer by Gregor Gall
- Celebrating 40 years of Combat Rock
- The Life of Punk and Fashion Icon Jordan To Be Celebrated.
- Steve Jones and Paul Cook attend the global premiere of new original series Pistol in London
- ‘A great joy’: punk laureate Patti Smith granted France’s highest honour.
Single cover: https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a3792735649_10.jpg
I’m a punk rock aficionado, martial arts pupil and fair-to-middling student of the Bengali language. I’m also a journalist, writer and editor, specialising in medicine and technology.
Click on Dom’s photo for more of his articles