Canadian punk rockers The Flatliners are set to release their first album in five years and are trailing it with the single ‘Performative Hours’.
The new song from the quartet, who this year celebrates 20 years as a band, is a ripping take on the dark side of the media – social or otherwise.
Singer and guitarist Chris Cresswell explained: “There’s a desperation that’s run rampant within us as people, and it’s the need to be validated. As the world around us grows more mechanically able to connect, we as people will abuse that power to simply brag or complain, feverishly attempting to create a moment instead of just enjoying one.
“It feels as though we’ve found ourselves in an age of insincerity, with people putting in the hours for nothing more than upholding an image. Time now ticks in performative hours.”
‘Performative Hours’ will be the lead track on ‘New Ruin’, The Flatliners’ first album since 2017’s ‘Inviting Light’ and is also a return for the band to Fat Wreck Chords, having first signed to the label in 2007.
Cresswell said: “Returning to Fat for the release of our new album ‘New Ruin’ is like the family reunion you actually want to attend; the reboot we can all get behind. It just feels like home to us.”
‘New Ruin’ is out on 5 August and before that, they’re on the road, with a short run of UK dates that begins Monday 30 May in Glasgow before appearances at the Slam Dunk Festival and then they’re in the US, Canada and mainland Europe.
Tracklisting & Tour Dates
1. Performative Hours
2. Rat King
3. Big Strum
4. Top Left Door
5. It’ll Hurt
9. Tunnel Vision
11. Under a Dying Sun
- 30 May 2022 in Glasgow, Scotland @ StereoBuy Tickets
- 31 May 2022 in Bristol, United Kingdom @ The ExchangeBuy Tickets
- 2 Jun 2022 in London, United Kingdom @ The DomeBuy Tickets
- 3 Jun 2022 in Leeds, United Kingdom @ Slam Dunk Festival – Temple NewsamBuy Tickets
- 4 Jun 2022 in Hatfield, United Kingdom @ Slam Dunk Festival – Hatfield ParkBuy Tickets
- 15 Jun 2022 in Buffalo, NY, US @ Mohawk PlaceBuy Tickets
- 16 Jun 2022 in Cleveland, OH, US @ Grog ShopBuy Tickets
- 17 Jun 2022 in Detroit, MI, US @ SanctuaryBuy Tickets
- 18 Jun 2022 in Chicago, IL, US @ Chop ShopBuy Tickets
- 27 Jul 2022 in Madrid, Spain @ Sala But w/ Lagwagon, Mad CaddiesBuy Tickets
- 28 Jul 2022 in Gijón, Spain @ Tsunami Xixón 2022Buy Tickets
- 29 Jul 2022 in Barcelona, Spain @ Razzmatazz w/ Lagwagon, Mad CaddiesBuy Tickets
- 31 Jul 2022 in Albi, France @ Xtreme Fest 2022Buy Tickets
- 1 Aug 2022 in Fribourg, Switzerland @ Le Nouveau MondeBuy Tickets
- 2 Aug 2022 in Paris, France @ Punk Rock Summer 5Buy Tickets
- 4 Aug 2022 in Cologne, Germany @ MTC ClubBuy Tickets
- 5 Aug 2022 in Duffel, Belgium @ Brakrock 2022Buy Tickets
- 6 Aug 2022 in Amsterdam, Netherlands @ Q-FactoryBuy Tickets
- 7 Aug 2022 in Hamburg, Germany @ KnustBuy Tickets
- 8 Aug 2022 in Tolmin, Slovenia @ Punk Rock Holiday 2022
- 9 Aug 2022 in Munich, Germany @ StromBuy Tickets
- 11 Aug 2022 in Igea Marina, Italy @ Bay Fest 2022Buy Tickets
- 12 Aug 2022 in Limburg, Germany @ Tells Bells Festival 2022Buy Tickets
- 13 Aug 2022 in Berlin, Germany @ SO36Buy Tickets
- 8 Sep 2022 in Vancouver, BC, Canada @ Rickshaw TheatreBuy Tickets
- 10 Sep 2022 in Edmonton, AB, Canada @ Super Friendly FestBuy Tickets
- 11 Sep 2022 in Calgary, AB, Canada @ CommonwealthBuy Tickets
- 28 Oct 2022 in Gainesville, FL, US @ FEST 2022 – OCT. 28th-30thBuy Tickets
- 5 Nov 2022 in Silverado, CA, US @ Punk In The Park 2022Buy Tickets
- 16 Nov 2022 in Washington, D.C., US @ SongbyrdBuy Tickets
- 17 Nov 2022 in Philadelphia, PA, US @ First Unitarian ChurchBuy Tickets
- 18 Nov 2022 in Brooklyn, NY, US @ Brooklyn MadeBuy Tickets
- 19 Nov 2022 in Boston, MA, US @ SoniaBuy Tickets
Follow The Flatliners On Their Socials
Need more punk in your life?
- The Hard-Ons Announce Western Australian Dates For August
- Punk Rock Lifers Beach Rats Share New Single
- Book Review: The Punk Rock Politics of Joe Strummer by Gregor Gall
- Celebrating 40 years of Combat Rock
- The Life of Punk and Fashion Icon Jordan To Be Celebrated.
- Steve Jones and Paul Cook attend the global premiere of new original series Pistol in London
- ‘A great joy’: punk laureate Patti Smith granted France’s highest honour.
- Pollyanna show their softer side on new acoustic track ‘Pathetic’
- Sophie Powers is Seeing ‘Red In Revenge’
- Baby Strange Drop New Track’ Poor Old Me’
- ALBUM REVIEW: State Champs – ‘Kings of the New Age’
- Alexx Bean is Anything But Fading in Latest Single
I’m a punk rock aficionado, martial arts pupil and fair-to-middling student of the Bengali language. I’m also a journalist, writer and editor, specialising in medicine and technology.
Click on Dom’s photo for more of his articles