Canadian punk rockers The Flatliners are set to release their first album in five years and are trailing it with the single ‘Performative Hours’.
The new song from the quartet, who this year celebrates 20 years as a band, is a ripping take on the dark side of the media – social or otherwise.
Singer and guitarist Chris Cresswell explained: “There’s a desperation that’s run rampant within us as people, and it’s the need to be validated. As the world around us grows more mechanically able to connect, we as people will abuse that power to simply brag or complain, feverishly attempting to create a moment instead of just enjoying one.
“It feels as though we’ve found ourselves in an age of insincerity, with people putting in the hours for nothing more than upholding an image. Time now ticks in performative hours.”
‘Performative Hours’ will be the lead track on ‘New Ruin’, The Flatliners’ first album since 2017’s ‘Inviting Light’ and is also a return for the band to Fat Wreck Chords, having first signed to the label in 2007.
Cresswell said: “Returning to Fat for the release of our new album ‘New Ruin’ is like the family reunion you actually want to attend; the reboot we can all get behind. It just feels like home to us.”
‘New Ruin’ is out on 5 August and before that, they’re on the road, with a short run of UK dates that begins Monday 30 May in Glasgow before appearances at the Slam Dunk Festival and then they’re in the US, Canada and mainland Europe.
Tracklisting & Tour Dates
Follow The Flatliners On Their Socials
Need more punk in your life?
- The Hard-Ons Announce Western Australian Dates For August
- Punk Rock Lifers Beach Rats Share New Single
- Book Review: The Punk Rock Politics of Joe Strummer by Gregor Gall
- Celebrating 40 years of Combat Rock
- The Life of Punk and Fashion Icon Jordan To Be Celebrated.
- Steve Jones and Paul Cook attend the global premiere of new original series Pistol in London
- ‘A great joy’: punk laureate Patti Smith granted France’s highest honour.
- Pollyanna show their softer side on new acoustic track ‘Pathetic’
- Sophie Powers is Seeing ‘Red In Revenge’
- Baby Strange Drop New Track’ Poor Old Me’
- ALBUM REVIEW: State Champs – ‘Kings of the New Age’
- Alexx Bean is Anything But Fading in Latest Single
I’m a punk rock aficionado, martial arts pupil and fair-to-middling student of the Bengali language. I’m also a journalist, writer and editor, specialising in medicine and technology.
Click on Dom’s photo for more of his articles