Experimental post-punk trio’s new album ‘The Rest Is Distraction‘ will be released via the band’s own label Own It/Cargo Records on October 14th. Have a peek at their new video below…
Formed in 2016, Girls In Synthesis are John Linger (bass / vocals), Jim Cubitt (guitar / keys) and Nicole Pinto (drums). Their double a-sided debut single ‘The Mound’/’Disappear’ came out in the early part of 2017, and since then they have established themselves as a forward thinking, viscerally challenging band with unmissable live shows.
Recorded last year amidst the uncertainty of continuous lockdowns as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, ‘The Rest Is Distraction’ is far darker in content than its predecessor, their 2020 debut ‘Now Here’s An Echo From Your Future’. Mainly exploring internal and mental struggles, it focuses on the claustrophobia of emotional anguish and continues to bravely delve into previously unventured topics. Featuring frequent collaborators funkcutter and Stanley Bad on horns and violin, respectively, two songs also see Eleni Poulou (ex-The Fall) on keyboards.
The claustrophobic intensity that the band do so well is demonstrated to creepy effect in their new video for the first single from the album ‘Watch With Mother‘. Unfolding like a tense black and white horror film, the video accompanies a track based around flashback memories of a dark parental relationship.
“‘Watch With Mother‘, like the some of the rest of the album, takes a darker look at family dynamics and the way in which we’re shaped by them. The music is more expansive, too, and is the perfect match for the lyrics. We were trying to approach things differently this time round,” explains bassist/vocalist John.
“This track is like a calling card for the album. It retains the intensity of our previous releases but builds on it with some different sounds and structure. I don’t think anyone is sounding like this at the moment. No one is tackling the subjects featured on the album,” states guitarist Jim.
Taking cues from the likes of Siouxsie and the Banshees and Crass, ‘The Rest Is Distraction’ is sure to be a vital and powerful mix of their trademark fractured guitar, crushing drums and sharp vocal delivery.
The album is due for release on October 14th. You can pre-order here.
Girls In Synthesis have a string of live dates across UK and Europe for the rest of the year. Find your nearest show here.
Follow Girls In Synthesis for more…
More stories from Punktuation:
- Scary Hours release new album ‘Symptoms of Modern Hegemony’ and resurrect the spirit of US hardcore
- Rebellion Festival Day 4
- From Punk Rock to Parkrun! Day 2 and 3 Rebellion Fest
- Roger’s Rebellion Blog Day One!
- Off! Bring War to Los Angeles
- R-Fest offering free tickets to NHS key workers!
- New album from Ed Banger and the Nosebleeds brings both the punk rock noise and the attitude.
- Interview: State Champs’ Ryan Scott Graham chats new album and upcoming Down Under tour.
- The Damned announce live album release of incredible 2019 immersive London show
- Punk trio THICK release video for new single ‘Tell Myself’
- Punk Super Group Beach Rats Pedal their New Single ‘Bikes Out’ to Celebrate The Release of Their Debut Album
I’m Molly Tie- I am the UK Editor for Punktuation and a general punk enthusiast! I play drums (badly), write a lot about punk (not as badly) and I’m particularly interested in issues relating to women in the music scene.