US punk rock supergroup OFF! have released the first taste of their forthcoming new album in the shape of the combative ‘War Above Los Angeles’.
It arrives with a video featuring Dead Kennedys’ D.H. Peligro, David Yow from the Jesus Lizard/Scratch Acid, professional skateboarder Don Nguyen and many more.
The single will feature on ‘Free LSD’, which is both the title of their first longer player in eight years, which arrives 30 September, and – arriving in 2023 – an accompanying feature film.
The group includes singer Keith Morris (ex-Black Flag, Circle Jerks), Dimitri Coats (ex-Burning Brides) on guitar, new drummer Justin Brown (Thundercat, Herbie Hancock) and bassist Autry Fulbright II (…And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead).
They’ve a US tour lined up to support the 20 track ‘Free LSD’ and its sounds that incorporate elements of Sun Ra and The Stooges, with layers of electronics and guest saxophone from Jon Wahl (Claw Hammer), as well as no-nonsense 90-second blasts.
Morris said: “After making music for as long as I have, it was time to use a palette that includes lime green, turquoise, and magenta instead of the typical colours and shades that were involved in all of the other breakneck and car chase scenarios. Miles Davis with Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters as opposed to Milo Goes to College.”
Coats added that the band had been thinking of the album as a soundtrack to a weird sci-fi movie. “[This] gave us permission to experiment, and the film explains, in a fantastical way, the creation of the album, they both go hand in hand as an overall art project.”
Ahead of the arrival of the new album, which will also feature Raymond Pettibon artwork, the OFF! back catalogue of 2010’s ‘First Four EPs’, 2012’s ‘OFF!’ and 2014’s ‘Wasted Years’ will be reissued by their new label Fat Possum Records.
2022 OFF! US tour dates
OFF! 2022 photo by Jeff Forney
Follow OFF! On Their Socials
Read more of the latest in punk
- New album from Ed Banger and the Nosebleeds brings both the punk rock noise and the attitude.
- Interview: State Champs’ Ryan Scott Graham chats new album and upcoming Down Under tour.
- The Damned announce live album release of incredible 2019 immersive London show
- Punk trio THICK release video for new single ‘Tell Myself’
- Punk Super Group Beach Rats Pedal their New Single ‘Bikes Out’ to Celebrate The Release of Their Debut Album
- Big Joanie channel Nirvana and Hüsker Dü for ‘Back Home’
- Interview: Beach Rats guitarist Pete Steinkopf on making a new album with old friends and capturing the spirit of the New Jersey punk scene.
- Yours Truly Announce Acoustic Tour
- On the day of Greg Norton’s Cancer Op, The Mahones and UltraBomb’s Finny McConnell Opens Up to Punktuation About Greg’s “battle of his life.”
- Steve Diggle Bares His Sonic Soul
I’m a punk rock aficionado, martial arts pupil and fair-to-middling student of the Bengali language. I’m also a journalist, writer and editor, specialising in medicine and technology.
Click on Dom’s photo for more of his articles