UK ‘doom punks’ Witch Fever are back with new single, the rumbling anti-hymnal ‘Blessed Be Thy’.
No strangers to religious imagery, the song sees Amy Walpole tailor language, cadence, and rhythm of a traditional hymn to deliver her own message, “blessed be thy shame / It makes us remember truth / A slow decline, the cursed divine / A place to hang your youth”.
Produced by Pigs x7’s Sam Grant at Blank Studios in Newcastle, the song was a recent addition to Witch Fever’s armoury.
Bassist Alex Thompson said: “It was literally the last song we wrote before we went into the studio but came together really quickly. I think it still has an essence of some of our older material, so it’s a good way to bridge the gap.”
Witch Fever was formed four years ago through mutual friends. Their line-up has since coalesced around Amy, Alex, guitarist Alisha Yarwood and Annabelle Joyce on drums.
More recently they’ve also been nominated for Best UK Breakthrough Artist at the Heavy Music Awards, with voting closing on 22 April, and will be preaching their message at a number if UK shows.
Main Witch Fever photo by @del_photos
Follow Witch Fever on their Socials
For More Great Stories, Check These Out…
- Punk: Rage & Revolution – exploring the late ’70s Leicester Punk scene
- Mean Jeans hit up the bog for a new EP release
- Incisions Release Incendiary New Track Gasoline
- Chris Bailey, Lead Singer of The Saints And ‘Father of Aussie punk’, Dies.
- Sleater-Kinney Announce’ Dig Me Out’ 25th Anniversary Covers Album Featuring The Linda Lindas, St. Vincent, Courtney Barnett and More
- Long-Running UK Punk Band SNUFF Returns with New Album on April 22
- Lydon is continuing his rage against the Disney machine, labelling their upcoming Sex Pistols drama series ‘Pistol’ “a fairytale”.
- Square Tugs get ‘Fat, Drunk, Stupid’ on new single
- The Clash Announce The Release of 40th-Anniversary Edition of Combat Rock
- Watch the trailer for punk documentary ‘Wake Up Punk’ featuring Vivienne WestwoodArdbeg Distillery Releases’ Ardcore’, a Limited Edition’ Punk’ Whisky
- Suzi Moon flaunts killer instinct on new single ‘Animal’
- Pop-Punk band Joyce Manor has ‘Gotta Let It Go.’
- Festival Review: Halloween Hysteria III (Finally), Brisbane Australia, 2/4/22
- Pistols TV Drama Trailer Debuts
- Punk legend Jordan – aka Pamela Rooke – has died
I’m a punk rock aficionado, martial arts pupil and fair-to-middling student of the Bengali language. I’m also a journalist, writer and editor, specialising in medicine and technology.
Click on Dom’s photo for more of his articles