A new trailer has dropped for Wake Up Punk, a new documentary that premiered last month at the Glasgow Film Festival. The film is released digitally on 9th May.
Wake Up Punk is directed by Nigel Askew and features in-depth interviews with Punk legends from ‘Queen Of Punk’ Jordan, aka Pamela Rooke, who sadly died of cancer over the weekend, to Punk and Fashion Icon Vivienne Westwood.
The movie explores the music, politics and fashion that drove the movement to its eventual commercial demise. Vivienne Westwood gives a never heard before insight as she charts the decline of punk and the subsequent rise of climate activism among the younger generations. and her son (with Malcolm McLaren) Joe Corré, is seen to burn an estimated £5M worth of punk memorabilia protesting the commodification of punk.
“Wake Up Punk takes this incendiary act of ‘cultural terrorism’ and the questions it raised to explore the lifespan and true worth of punk – the 20th century’s most volatile movement,” The movie’s press release says. “With a fusion of documentary and magical realism, the film captures intimate moments between Vivienne and her two sons Ben and Joe as they candidly discuss their own relationship with McLaren and stories from the punk era.
Check out more from Punktuation
- Festival Review: Halloween Hysteria III (Finally), Brisbane Australia, 2/4/22
- Pistols TV Drama Trailer Debuts
- Punk legend Jordan – aka Pamela Rooke – has died
- John Lydon does not ‘endorse or support’ new Sex Pistols compilation
- The Losers Club Broadcast Latest Single, ‘Radio Faces.’
- Petrol Girls Announce New Album ‘Baby’
- Captives ‘Return To Mars’ for New Album
- Sweden’s Omni Of Halos Think ‘You Suck’
- Pennywise are Taking the Tour Down Under
- There Are ‘No Rules’ as Far as The Venomous Pinks Are Concerned.
- Brazilian pop-punk quartet Backdrop Falls take it close to the edge
Punktuation Magazine For All Your Daily Punk News, Features, Interviews, Lifestyle and more!