Billie Joe Armstrong celebrated his 50th birthday this weekend with the best cover band ever.
With Green Day’s frontman turning 50 last Thursday, 17 February, Billie Joe Armstrong and fans have been looking back at the bands’ 30 plus years on tour. Billie Joe took to Instagram yesterday, sharing a memory of their first tour in 1990. The photo he posted shows the baby-faced duo of Aaron Cometbus, Green Day’s drummer at the time, and Billie Joe fast asleep in their van.
Hardcore Green Day fans will recognise the trio as The Coverups, a side project of Armstrong, Dirnt and White’s purely created as an outlet for performing cover songs. The band would often show up unannounced, performing one-off shows in smaller clubs. ‘Drain You‘, surprise, surprise, was amongst the tracks they covered.
Watch The Coverups perform Drain You in full Live at 40th Street Block Party, Oakland, Live, 20 July 2019
Keep Up With Green Day (if you can)…
Keep up to date with the latest in punk
- Wuhan calling: how the city’s punk rock scene changed China’s youth
- Simple Plan And Sum 41’s Deryck Whibley ‘Ruins My Life’
- Riot Grrrl Punk Rock Musical Riot Antigone To Release Album
- The Imbeciles Announce New Album ‘Imbecilica’ Recorded with Legendary Producer Youth!
- Orange County Emo/Punks Crossing I’s Dotting T’s Put Their Feelings Aside
- Waxflower Ring In a New Year With Latest Single
- Is Punk Band You Vandal Trying To Deny Its Existence?
- Pep Talk drop new single and animated music video for ‘Dumb Love’
- Bob Mould releases solo live EP The Ocean
- Thick drop new single and announce tour with The Distillers
- PUNK MAJESTY STREETWEAR, Eco-Conscience, Accessible Fashion For All Genders
- Wanted Noise Hit A Home Run With New Single ‘Clench’
- Spanish punk band Memocracia, want to party, party, as they announce the release of their latest album.
- Pop-Punk Band Nearly Spent Accidentally Fall In Love For Valentine’s Day
Everyone should have a soundtrack playing loudly in the background of their life. I was born moshing to my own beat and have never swayed from my love of music. Spreading my passion through the written word is my soul’s purpose. My punk heart beats loudly with the rhythm of my rock soul. I plan to continue to mosh like no one gives a shit.
Click on Tracey’s photo for more of her articles!