The Derry punk legends unveilThrill Me from the forthcoming album ‘Dig What You Need’The Best Of The “Reformation Years” 1999 – Present.
To celebrate the release of The Undertones’ Dig What You Need’, The Best Of The “Reformation Years 1999 – Present on 11th March, the band unveil a brand new video for ‘Thrill Me’; made by Vinny Cunningham (who also made The Story of the Undertones documentary).
The video was shot in various cities during the band’s German and Irish tours and also includes footage of the band in recording studios in Derry and at BBC’s Maida Vale, where they recorded a session for John Peel.
Possibly one of the greatest pop-rock bands of all time, Derry’s The Undertones have roots that go back 45 years to the 1977 punk explosion when they were beloved and championed by BBC DJ John Peel. Songs like ‘Teenage Kicks’, ‘Get Over You’, and ‘My Perfect Cousin’ are household staples beloved by millions across three generations of music listeners.
The band’s reputation as recording artists and a brilliant live act has carried them through the recent two decades since they reformed in 1999 with new singer Paul McLoone. ‘Dig What You Need’ collects the best of their two reformation albums, 2003’s “Get What You Need” and 2007’s “Dig Yourself Deep”. The tracks for this compilation have been digitally remastered and are being released for the first time on vinyl. In addition, all the songs have been remixed by producer Paul Tipler (Stereolab, Elastica, Idlewild, Placebo, Julian Cope, The House Of Love).
Guitarist and founder member Damian O’Neill notes…” So dig this: Thrill Me / Oh Please / I’m Recommending Me / Dig Yourself Deep / Here Comes The Rain – all firm favourites on an Undertones setlist these days, songs penned by John O’Neill and Michael Bradley. So it’s really a no-brainer that all these songs (and more) should finally be included on a best-of compilation taken from the two albums we’ve recorded withPaul McLoone.
“Even better is the fact we got producer/mixing maestro Paul Tipler to remix them with fresh ears and make them sound even better than the originals. Add to that the wonderful packaging and sleeve design courtesy of Bruce and Mary from Arthole, and lo and behold, we have a sonically cohesive bunch of nuggets waiting to be rediscovered all over again. So dig this compilation, my friends – you know you won’t be disappointed”.
Since their reformation, the band has toured several times across the UK, Ireland, Continental Europe, Japan, Turkey and North America, with highlights that include Glastonbury and a pre-game performance at Celtic Park in Glasgow before a UEFA Cup play-off between Celtic and Arsenal.
The band is much loved in all quarters of the British and Irish music media, with their debut album being voted into the Q Magazine Top 100 albums of all time. The band will spend March-May on the road with gigs across the UK, Germany and Scandinavia.
The Undertones 2022 Tour Dates In Full
Follow The Undertones
Need more punk in your life?
- Rare Bloom flourish with new single ‘Montreal Screwjob’
- Sum 41 announces US co-headline tour with Simple Plan
- “Not all women over 40 want to join a choir”
- Paris Texas Punks, Rules of Engagement, are wondering what’s happen to the underground
- Watch Green Day Cover Nirvana For Billie Joe’s 50th
- Wuhan calling: how the city’s punk rock scene changed China’s youth
- Simple Plan And Sum 41’s Deryck Whibley ‘Ruins My Life’
- Riot Grrrl Punk Rock Musical Riot Antigone To Release Album
- Celtic punks The Real McKenzies to release greatest hits album
- The Imbeciles Announce New Album ‘Imbecilica’ Recorded with Legendary Producer Youth!
- Orange County Emo/Punks Crossing I’s Dotting T’s Put Their Feelings Aside
- Waxflower Ring In a New Year With Latest Single
- Is Punk Band You Vandal Trying To Deny Its Existence?
- Pep Talk drop new single and animated music video for ‘Dumb Love’
- Bob Mould releases solo live EP The Ocean
- Thick drop new single and announce tour with The Distillers
- PUNK MAJESTY STREETWEAR, Eco-Conscience, Accessible Fashion For All Genders
- Wanted Noise Hit A Home Run With New Single ‘Clench’
Punktuation Magazine For All Your Daily Punk News, Features, Interviews, Lifestyle and more!