The British punk/actor/composer passed away 25 February at age 66.
As announced via his official Facebook page, lyricist Nick Tesco (Nick Lightowlers), founding member of the UK punk band The Members, ‘has left the building’.
The Members formed in 1976 and released Solitary Confinement with original personnel, Tesco (vocals), Gary Baker (guitar), Steve Morley (bass guitar), Clive Parker (drums) in 1978. However, it was their best-known line-up that included Nigel Benett (guitar), Chris Payne (bass guitar), Adrian Lillywhite (drums) and Jean-Marie Carroll (aka JC Carroll) (guitars), that released the band’s biggest hit ‘Sounds of the Suburbs’ in 1979, a hit produced by Adrian’s brother Steve Lillywhite.
Their final album with Tesco ‘Uprhythm, Downbeat‘ (Going West in The UK) includes the band’s most successful single in the U.S., ‘Working Girl’, and the Nigel Bennett penned single “Radio,” which reach no. 5 in Australia.
Speaking to Punktuation! Nigel Bennett said “Nick and I were dear friends since I joined member in ’78. I always remember him and me howling with laughter together. I will miss him. Rest in peace.”
Tesco announced his departure from the band in 1983, leading to the band going their separate ways.
Moving into the movie industry, Tesco pursued a career in acting and composing with movies The American Way (1986), Cha Cha Cha (1989) and Amar Akbar & Tony (2015) to his name.
The Members reformed (without Tesco) in2008 and their latest album ‘Bedsitland’ was released in 2021 via AngloCentric Records.
Our condolences go out to Nick Tesco’s family and friends.
Need more punk in your life?
- The Undertones Thrill With Their Brand New Video
- Rare Bloom flourish with new single ‘Montreal Screwjob’
- Sum 41 announces US co-headline tour with Simple Plan
- “Not all women over 40 want to join a choir”
- Paris Texas Punks, Rules of Engagement, are wondering what’s happen to the underground
- Watch Green Day Cover Nirvana For Billie Joe’s 50th
- Wuhan calling: how the city’s punk rock scene changed China’s youth
- Simple Plan And Sum 41’s Deryck Whibley ‘Ruins My Life’
- Riot Grrrl Punk Rock Musical Riot Antigone To Release Album
- Celtic punks The Real McKenzies to release greatest hits album
- The Imbeciles Announce New Album ‘Imbecilica’ Recorded with Legendary Producer Youth!
- Orange County Emo/Punks Crossing I’s Dotting T’s Put Their Feelings Aside
- Waxflower Ring In a New Year With Latest Single
- Is Punk Band You Vandal Trying To Deny Its Existence?
- Pep Talk drop new single and animated music video for ‘Dumb Love’
- Bob Mould releases solo live EP The Ocean
- Thick drop new single and announce tour with The Distillers
- PUNK MAJESTY STREETWEAR, Eco-Conscience, Accessible Fashion For All Genders
Everyone should have a soundtrack playing loudly in the background of their life. I was born moshing to my own beat and have never swayed from my love of music. Spreading my passion through the written word is my soul’s purpose. My punk heart beats loudly with the rhythm of my rock soul. I plan to continue to mosh like no one gives a shit.
Click on Tracey’s photo for more of her articles!