The American punk rock rabble rousers are out to raise more than a few eyebrows with new single ‘A Gary Glitter Getaway’.
Punk rock veterans, The Dickies remain one of the most reliably entertaining bands around, but despite their fun-loving reputation, they’re no stranger to controversy. Since their inception in 1977, the band’s lyrics and stage personas have always knocked up against mainstream norms and subverted social mores in a way that was both light-hearted and intellectually acute.
Now, the band has courted some of the most furtive sideways glances of their career with the new single A Gary Glitter Getaway. The track is delightfully upbeat and catchy, biting a bit of The Go-Go’s Vacation for a pop hook punch while taking as its subject the UK’s once most revered pop icons to the now most-despised, paedophile.
Like all great punk rock songs, its ironic detachment hides righteous moral anger pointed directly at the ruling class. Or, as Dickies vocalist Leonard Graves Phillips puts it, tongue firmly planted in cheek, “This is a song about getting away from it all, going to faraway places, and meeting new people.”
The single’s B-side is a bit easier to digest. In fact, it continues The Dickies’ long-standing tradition of crafting punk rock cover versions of well-known pop and rock songs. This time it’s The Beatles’ I Want To Hold Your Hand that gets the fast and loud treatment, and just even the rumour of its existence has got the Dickies faithful buzzing with excitement. Well, the wait is officially over!
Both songs are being pressed on an exclusive, limited-edition 7” vinyl officially released today! Available in your choice of either BLUE or RED vinyl! Order your copy HERE.
Follow The Dickes for more…
Need more of the latest in punk?
- Ska-Punks Stacked Like Pancakes Drop a Flipping Good New Single
- Rap-Punk Duo Ho99o9, Power Up With New Single ‘Battery Not Included’
- The Dollyrots drop new album ‘Down The Rabbit Hole’
- Aussie Punks Nocturnal Animals Drop New Single ‘Where’s My Mind Been?’
- Positive News From Hazel O’Connor’s Doctors
- Swedish punks Acid Blood Are ‘Bleeding Out’
- Pet Needs Return With New Single ‘Punk’s Not Dead (It’s Just Up For Sale)
- Celtic Party Rebels The Rumjacks Announce New USA 2022 Headline Dates
- A Grandma Challenges Travis Barker To A Drum Battle
- Hazel O’Connor Slowly Improving
- Urethane collaborate with Pennywise’s Jim Lindberg on new release.
- Sydney punks FANGZ get ready to hit the road
- Good Riddance bassist hospitalised
- Teresa Banks release music vdeo for ‘Alcohol and Cigarettes’
- Bob Mould’s UK and Ireland tour delayed by Covid
- Avril Lavigne Drops New Single and Announces LP Release Date
Punktuation Magazine For All Your Daily Punk News, Features, Interviews, Lifestyle and more!