The Angelic Upstarts lead singer Thomas ‘Mensi’ Mensforth loses his Battle with COVID
The lead singer of the iconic British Punk Rock/Oi band Angelic Upstarts has passed away after being in ICU for a couple of weeks with COVID.
As the news was announced, the condolences for the anti-fascist punk poured in. On Facebook, the Angelic Upstarts simple posted. “Today, we lost a punk rock legend. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and all those he inspired.”
The Ruts posted that while it’s “always hard to lose a soldier”, they will remember him as that lovely guy who once sang “If you think I’m sexy “ with them at the Marquee Ruts Xmas gig.
Peter and The Test Tube Babies said that his contribution to punk rock would be remembered and revered forever.
The Exploited said that Mensi was one of the best punk frontmen ever, and Punk poet Attila The Stockbroker noted that the singer of the Angelic Upstarts was one of the bravest, cleverest and most dedicated socialists and anti-fascists he had ever met.
Jennie Russell-Smith Co-founder of Rebellion Festival said: “Mensi was a character, he didn’t always say what people wanted to hear, he spoke his truth and stood by his beliefs, good on him, he lived and breathed those beliefs!
Back in February, former Angelic Upstarts member Tony Feedback also lost his battle with COVID, and at the time, Mensi posted on The Upstarts Facebook page: “Lost my bruv to the covid today. Me and tone go back a long way. Diamond geezer. Im numb. Till we meet again geezer. Cant believe it. Love you.” [sic]
The Angelic Upstarts formed in South Shields in 1977 and became one of the most politically charged and thought-provoking groups of that time. The band espoused an anti-fascist and socialist working class philosophy and are regarded as pioneers of the Oi! punk subgenre.
The band released eight studio albums in their first decade. After a brief split, they reformed in 1988, with new albums appearing in 1992, 2002, 2011, and 2016. More than 20 years after its release, their debut single, ‘The Murder of Liddle Towers’ was included in Mojo magazine’s list of the best punk rock singles of all time.
Main Photo: John Bolloton Photography
Follow Angelic Upstarts Socials
For more news check out these stories…
- The Steve Ignorant Band Release ‘Live In Notts 2021’
- Desperate Measures Drop Video For New Single Scars and Memories.
- Aussie Pop-Punks Snark Debut Emotive New Track
- Grumpster sign to Pure Noise Records and release new single
- The Damned Announce The Release Of An Exclusive, Collectors’ Limited Edition Book!
- Italian Punks, The Brokers and The Wall Street Band, Debut EP
- Leeds Punks Sunliner Announce New Frank Turner Produced Single
- Legendary Punks The Vibrators Clear Out Their Archives For A Three-CD Box Set Of Vintage Demos!
- Wolf & Chain Wrap Up A Three-Part Narrative with New Music Video
- Interview: Pennywise’s Jim Lindberg Bares His Soul On His New Solo Album
- The Filth And The Fury: OTD in 1976 The Sex Pistols Outrage The British Public Live On TV!
Punktuation Magazine For All Your Daily Punk News, Features, Interviews, Lifestyle and more!