The genre-defying Nova Twins have another crushing single out, with Antagonist providing more of their trademark fusion of punk, metal and rap.
The duo of guitarist/singer Amy Love and Georgia South on bass have crafted a stomping, confrontational tune in Antagonist, whose ease of composition belies its angsty aggression.
“[On] this particular single, we wanted to have fun,” Amy told Kerrang! Radio yesterday. “So, basically, me and Georgia was jamming in the studio, in a home setup, and we just wanted something fun, and we just wanted to let go and be raucous and raw.
“It had that angsty feeling of we wanted to take back our power, and we wanted to own it – [when] people feel like they’re antagonising [you] for your existence, maybe it’s your gender or your sexuality or race, we’re taking that power because we’re the antagonist … because the problem is with [the person targeting you].”
Hence the opening lyrics of “I “I’meeling like a riot If it’s cure to the cause / then we have to get violent”,” which the London band drive along with a propulsive metallic groove.
The single follows their 2020 album ‘Who Are The Girls?” supporting that release, they managed ten days of their tour before Covid lockdowns called a halt to their plans. “Even if it was really short-lived, at least we had that,” Amy told Kerrang! Radio.
Nova Twins’ new single arrives ahead of rescheduled UK and Ireland tour dates that will now begin in February. Before that, the band will support Sleaford Mods on a couple of their UK dates and then join Enter Shikari for some slots on their tour.
More Nova Twins
Liked this story? Check these…
- Benjamin Vallé, founding member of Swedish punk band Viagra Boys, has died.
- Bite Me Bambi Announce Short Run of Midwest Shows
- Our Darkest Days Sail In With ‘A Sea Of Lies’
- Wonk Unit bring the painful, political and personal on new album ‘Uncle Daddy’
- Crown The King Announce EP ‘Groundhog Day’
- IDLES’ Joe Talbot announces UK Q&A shows.
- Album Review: Wolf & Chain – ‘Amor Mortal’.
- BAABES TO RELEASE NEW SINGLE ‘BAD BOY WORSE DRUGS’
- “The Feeling of Punk is Universal.” Deutschpunks Alarmsignal Interview.
- British Folk-Punks Skinny Lister Release Their Much-Anticipated LP ‘A Matter Of Love & Life’
- Rise Against Announce Release Of ‘Nowhere Sessions’ EP
- NO NO NO NO NO release predatory new single ‘Sharksfin’
I’m a punk rock aficionado, martial arts pupil and fair-to-middling student of the Bengali language. I’m also a journalist, writer and editor, specialising in medicine and technology.
Click on Dom’s photo for more of his articles