Legendary punk rock recording studio Inner Ear has reappeared at a new location, less than a year after the local government forced it to vacate its previous Arlington, Virginia site.
Founder Don Zientara has taken his facility back to the Arlington Heights house where he first established it in 1979, and plans to continue his work.
“It is gone from the past 32 years’ space, but it is [in my basement] now, it’s still thriving. You could say I’m in semi-retirement because I’m working when I went to work, with people I want to work with,” he told the Embracing Arlington Arts podcast.
The new studio includes a lot of equipment from Zientara’s previous facility, including his favourite microphones, and has some newer kit.
He hosted a who’s who of the punk scene after moving to the studio to its previous Arlington site in 1990, including Fugazi, Dag Nasty, Jawbox, Bikini Kill, Bob Mould and many more.
But the first band he recorded in the basement Inner Ear Studio was Teen Idles, whose members included Dischord Records co-founders Ian Mackaye and Jeff Nelson.
Zientara subsequently taped Mackaye and Nelson’s next band, Minor Threat, as well as Bad Brains, Government Issue and Henry Rollins’ first band S.O.A. among others in the 1980s.
More recently, the studio featured in Dave Grohl’s 2014 ‘Sonic Highways’ documentary series, during which the Foo Fighters recorded a song for their album of the same name at Inner Ear.
Inner Ear Studios
More of the latest in punk
- The Red Bastards release self-titled album full of partying and politics
- No Trigger Debut Latest Record ‘Dr Album’
- One week left to get tickets for Loud Women Fest
- Snark Release New Single ‘Stay’
- Wonk Unit, Death By Stereo, Lightyear and more for MPF 2023
- Social Distortion and Bad Religion Announce Australia and New Zealand Co-headline Tour
- The Chats team with The Bronx for US tour
- Bruise Control sign with TNSrecords
- Album Review: The Chats ‘Get Fucked’
- The Summer Set share some ‘Hard Candy’
- Live Review: Lars Frederiksen’s one man show in Southampton
- UK pop punk outfit Shark Bait announce new single
- Girls In Synthesis announce new album, plus new single ‘Watch With Mother’
- Bayside Are In ‘The Red’ With New EP
- Scary Hours release new album ‘Symptoms of Modern Hegemony’ and resurrect the spirit of US hardcore
I’m a punk rock aficionado, martial arts pupil and fair-to-middling student of the Bengali language. I’m also a journalist, writer and editor, specialising in medicine and technology.
Click on Dom’s photo for more of his articles