WTF? 30 years since Kerplunk! was released. Not possible? Well it is!
Wednesday, marked the 30th anniversary of Green Day‘s sophomore album, Kerplunk! In celebration of the milestone, frontman Billie Joe Armstrong shared a series of photos from the Kerplunk! days, as well as a retrospective blog written by Larry Livermore, co-founder of the punk label Lookout Records, which first released the album.
The photos, which Armstrong shared in an Instagram post, is about par for the course for what you might expect from the then-teenage punk trio in 1991, including a shot of Billie smoking a makeshift bong.
Livermore’s blog, meanwhile, finds him reflecting on Kerplunk!‘s unusual week-before-Christmas release date, and recalling how his “idiotically large” order of 10,000 copies sold out in a single day.
“About those 10,000 copies: Ruth thought I was insane to order that many.” Livermore wrote. “Even if I was releasing the record in a “normal” month, she insisted, Green Day were still a young, relatively unknown band with a couple of 7”s and an LP, which had sold well, but not spectacularly.
“For a label at our level, selling 3,000 copies was a good result, and 5,000 was excellent. Our best-selling record ever, Operation Ivy’s Energy, was edging toward the 10,000 mark, but it had taken two and a half years to get there… If we don’t sell them all this month, I argued, we’ll sell them next month. Punks don’t follow the record industry calendar.”
Mostly, though, the blog paints the picture of a young band (Billie and Mike were only 16 at the time, and their then-drummer, Al Sobrante was all of 18) on the precipice of becoming world rock stars.
“People typically assume Dookie, which came out in 1994, was Green Day’s breakthrough, but it was with Kerplunk!, more than two years earlier, that the band reached escape velocity,” Livermore wrote. “We who had known them since the beginning could only watch in awe as they headed for the stars.”
See more photos in Billie Joe Armstrong’s Instagram post.
Follow Green Day for more…
Need More Great Punk Sh**?
- The Dollyrots Get Festive With ‘One More Sleep’
- Australia’s NinchFest Music Fest Is Back
- REVIEW: Edweena Banger Releases Second Solo Album ‘Diamond Rocks’
- IDLES Release Video for ‘When The Lights Come On’
- Worcester, UK melodic-punks Fights and Fire release new single ‘Disposable Dogs’
- Avril Lavigne Wants To Adapt ‘Sk8er Boi’ into a Movie
- No Time To Sleep For Italian Alt-Punks Deaf Lingo
- CLT DRP Collab With New York’s Flossing on ‘Ownership’ Remix
- RIP Mensi, Angelic Upstarts.
- The UK Satirical Punk Band The Kunts Aim For Christmas Number one!
- Delaire The Liar Release Highly Anticipated EP ‘Eat Your Own’
- Recently discovered photos of the LA Punk Scene from 1977-80 to be released in a new punk photo art book
- Rebellion Festival Announces Launch of R-Fest
- Sink your teeth into the latest video from the boisterous Aussie punks FANGZ
Punktuation Magazine For All Your Daily Punk News, Features, Interviews, Lifestyle and more!