Aussie punks have drop new music ahead of the release of their new album and tour announcement.
Melbourne punk-rock band Captives have announced their new album Return To Mars out on March 31, ahead of their East Coast and Adelaide tour. The record features 2021’s fierce rock anthems Buried and Bones, Villain, and new single Gold.
“Gold has been a bit of a journey,” says drummer Matthew Damon. “It was one of the first tracks we put down for the new album but was a bit of a dark horse. Now it’s one of our favourites. IIt’shuge. No-fuss I’m looking forward to smashing this one live!”
From the first propulsive drumbeat in Gold, the song perfectly captures the anthemic energy that’s core to their sound, featuring driving heavy guitar riffs and thundering vocals from lead singer Aaron Damon. The track was recorded at The Alamo studio in Melbourne, produced and mixed by Tyson Fish (Vance Joy, Mammal, Children Collide), and mastered by Forrester Savell (Karnivool, Cog, Shihad).
“It was the first time we’ve ever attempted writing digitally and remotely. Parts of the process were great; other parts were super challenging,” remembers Damon. “For us, you can’t beat having all five of us in a room and creating tunes with the energy from us all. Thankfully, we were able to get into a studio in between Melbourne lockdowns and track the record. If anything, we’ve learnt to adapt our writing process, and it’s only going to benefit us in the long run. In saying that, I can’t wait to be in a room with the band and just be able to play some songs again.”
Directed by Dave Hunter (Ebonivory, The Last Martyr) fromBand Factory Media at Wick Studios, the band gives a blistering performance in the video for Gold.
“We wanted to make a video that gave justice to the song,” continued Damon. “For me, whenever I listen to Gold, it’s made to be listened to on a huge PA with a light show. So we kind of pulled that off this time around. Once again, working with our video Director Dave Hunter, Dave does an amazing job of bringing our concepts to life. He smashed this edit!”
Tour Dates and Tickets
CAPTIVES TOUR DATES
2 APRIL, HALLOWEEN HYSTERIA, BRISBANE
9 APRIL, THE VANGUARD, SYDNEY
16 APRIL, CROWN AND ANCHOR, ADELAIDE
23 APRIL, GASOMETER HOTEL, MELBOURNE
29 APRIL, MO’S DESERT CLUBHOUSE, GOLD COAST
Captives will be touring the East Coast of Australia and Adelaide this April, with fans getting the opportunity to hear their new album Return To Mars live and up close.
“The time between our last show in Japan 2020 and the first ones back will be almost two years and two months between drinks. Craaazzzy!!” says vocalist Aaron Damon. “It’s kind of nerve-racking but exciting at the same time to think we get to do it all again really soon. Can’t wait!”
Listen to Gold HERE
More of the latest in punk right here
- Pennywise Announces Two Amazing Weekends of Intimate Shows
- Crown The King release title track from debut EP ‘Groundhog Day’
- James Domestic releases ode to getting things done…tomorrow
- With Their New Single, ‘Headstone’, Weatherstate Remind Us That Life Is Short.
- Out of the gate like a Brahman bull comes East Bay’s ‘Charger’ with power driven new album
- Green Day Taunt Fans With ‘1972’ Teasers
- Book Launch: ‘The Paradiso Punk Years’
- Simple Plan Drops New Video For ‘The Antidote’
- Henry Rollins Cancels Spoken Word Tour
- Travis Barker gives Adele a pop-punk injection
- Tiny Desk Concert Goes Hardcore
- Chris Nine unleashes spirited track ‘Ghosts’ to confront relationships past
- One Hidden Frame release third single from upcoming album
Punktuation Magazine For All Your Daily Punk News, Features, Interviews, Lifestyle and more!