The UK’s live punk scene has returned to uncertainty, cancellations and postponements in the face of rising cases of Covid due to the latest highly transmissible variant.
Omicron cases may have now peaked, but many performers are understandably cautious as Covid cases and hospitalisations spike, including Bob Mould, who has rescheduled his UK and Ireland dates to June and July.
Writing from California, he said: “As I mentioned last fall, I’m always concerned about the safety of my audience as well as venue workers. In early December 2021, I realised it would be difficult for me – even with three vaccinations on my dance card – to stay Covid-free for the entirety of the January/February 2022 IE/UK Solo Electric tour.
“Today, I’m happy to announce those shows have been rescheduled. Apologies in advance for any inconvenience. Lots of moving parts had to be re-positioned before announcing these new dates. With that being said, I’m hopeful for a better 2022, I’m anxious to get back to work, and I’m very excited to see you all this June!”
All of the original tickets for Mould’s UK and Ireland dates remain valid, though refunds are available at the point of purchase. Ahead of that his US ‘solo electric’ shows are still going ahead, kicking off on February 18 in Bloomington, Indiana.
The punk legend isn’t the only one facing disruption, with several UK tours hit, including the cancellation of Henry Rollins’ January-February ‘Good To See You’ UK and European tour and Frank Turner’s January and February dates.
The U.K. Subs were able to push their own dates back to April after singer Charlie Harper contracted Covid, though a case of the virus in Big Joanie’s team forced them to cancel their appearance at the Rockaway Breach festival on the south coast of England.
Other punk bands reluctantly postponing dates earlier this month included Subhumans and Fresh Punks.
Follow Bob Mould On His Socials
Main photo” Bob Mould at Rockwood Music Hall (photo by Gus Philippas/WFUV)
Need More Punk?
- Avril Lavigne Drops New Single and Announces LP Release Date
- Captives unleash scorching new single ‘Gold’
- Teresa Banks release music video for ‘Alcohol and Cigarettes’
- Pennywise Announces Two Amazing Weekends of Intimate Shows
- Crown The King release title track from debut EP ‘Groundhog Day’
- James Domestic releases ode to getting things done…tomorrow
- With Their New Single, ‘Headstone’, Weatherstate Remind Us That Life Is Short.
- Out of the gate like a Brahman bull comes East Bay’s ‘Charger’ with power driven new album
- Green Day Taunt Fans With ‘1972’ Teasers
- Book Launch: ‘The Paradiso Punk Years’
- Simple Plan Drops New Video For ‘The Antidote’
- Henry Rollins Cancels Spoken Word Tour
- Travis Barker gives Adele a pop-punk injection
An occasional writer on punk rock.
Click on Dom’s photo for more of his articles