Bob Mould’s current run of solo gigs keeps increasing and alongside the announcement of more US shows he’s just released new EP The Ocean.
The three-track solo live set features acoustic versions of “The Ocean” and “Forecast of Rain“, both from 2020’s ‘Blue Hearts‘ album, plus a rendition of the Hüsker Dü classic ‘Divide and Conquer’.
Mould said: “One of my special places is Ocean Beach in San Francisco. Over the past twelve years, I’ve spent many early mornings walking the shoreline. There are very few people at dawn: fishers, joggers with dogs, surfers.
“Depending on the tide cycle, the beach takes on different appearances – sandy sheets of reflective glass, ever-shifting playground for Snowy Plovers and other birds, ocean matter washed up on the shore. I think clearly when walking through the mixture of salt, sand, wind and water.
“The beach beneath my feet, waves as far as the eye can see, the twinkling night sky giving way to colourful morning light. The constant din of the waves does wonders for my tinnitus. It’s a grounding, soothing, calming feeling – a place to rest. And, there’s always the undertow — that chance of ending up in deeper waters. The Ocean is my homage to those visions, senses, and emotions.”
The Ocean EP‘s three tracks were recorded for NPR’s World Café at Mould’s Granary Music home studio in San Francisco.
In addition to the tracks, Mould has also released a new solo live performance video of ‘Forecast of Rain’, filmed last October at the Stoughton Opera House in Stoughton, Wisconsin.
His ongoing touring in support of Blue Hearts and his post-Hüsker Dü career-spanning Distortion boxset begins again on March 30 in Ventura, California, followed in June by a solo tour of the UK and Ireland.
BOB MOULD’S TOUR DATES
Follow Bob Mould On His Socials
Main photo” Bob Mould at Rockwood Music Hall (photo by Gus Philippas/WFUV)
Need More Punk?
- PUNK MAJESTY STREETWEAR, Eco-Conscience, Accessible Fashion For All Genders
- Wanted Noise Hit A Home Run With New Single ‘Clench’
- Spanish punk band Memocracia, want to party, party, as they announce the release of their latest album.
- Pop-Punk Band Nearly Spent Accidentally Fall In Love For Valentine’s Day
- Rap-Punk Duo Ho99o9, Announce New Travis Barker Produced LP
- Raise Your Glasses To The Rumjacks New EP
- Life’s Never Been Better for UK Punks Weatherstate
- Petrol Girls Release ‘Baby, I Had An Abortion’
- Fangz Have Got Naked Ambitions With Their Latest Single
- Aussie larrikin punks Dune Rats Prepare Fans For A Real Rare Treat
- The original Killing Joke line-up announces the ‘Lord of Chaos’ EP, their first new material in 7 years
- New video appears of Tim Armstrong and Jesse Michaels performing Operation Ivy classic
- California punks Destroy Boys announce first-ever UK headline tour
- La Armada drop new album this week!
- Rotting Out Cover Nirvana’s ‘Even In His Youth’
An occasional writer on punk rock.
Click on Dom’s photo for more of his articles