The Foo Fighters frontman andGrammy Award-winning producer Greg Kurstin release a Yiddish version of the Ramones classic for the Jewish Festival of Lights.
Last year, Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl and eight-time Grammy Award-winning producer Greg Kurstin celebrated the Jewish Festival of Lights with a series they dubbed ‘Hanukkah Sessions’, in which they covered eight songs by prominent Jewish artists — from Bob Dylan to the Beastie Boys.
This year, they’re doing it again, and after kicking off the series with a death-metal rendition of Lisa Loeb’s ‘Stay,’ they got their ‘punk on’ on night two with a brilliant cover of the Ramones‘ ‘Blitzkrieg Bop.’
The Foo Fighters Instagram stated, “Once upon a time, two nice Jewish boys from Queens named Jeffery Hyman and Thomas Erdelyi changed the world forever with their music….. as Joey and Tommy Ramone!
“GABBAI GABBAI HEY!
“Ladies and gentlemen….It’s the @ramones! Blitzkreig Bop!”[sic]
Dave and Greg’s version of the 1976 punk classic stays faithful to the original — save for the Yiddish tweak where instead of chanting “Hey! Ho! Let’s Go,” the guys tap intoGreg Kurstin‘s Jewish heritage and chant, “Ay! Oy! Let’s Goy!” with ‘Goy’ being a friendly term for non-Jewish brethren.
Check it out!
If you enjoyed this, you will love…
- It Ain’t No Joke – Jaz Coleman is made a Doctor!
- Sydney-based pop-punk band Bellwether has just revealed its frenzied new cut.
- NYC Punks, Pass Away, Release Their Stonkingly Good Semaphore LP
- ‘Don’t be an A-hole this Christmas, Just Be Nice’ Says MxPx!
- Outgoing German Chancellor, Angela Merkel chooses Nina Hagen song for her retirement ceremony
- Punk fan trolls U.S. right-wing radio show by namedropping punk bands
- Sold Out Amyl And The Sniffers Berlin Show Cancelled.
- Take a Gander At South Korean Punks Smoking Goose
- Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood’s son accused of faking his burning of £5 million worth of punk memorabilia.
- Jimmy Eat World drop final instalment of the Phoenix Sessions
- Bad Religion Reschedule Last Three Dates of Tour After Member Contracts COVID
- Punk Rock Legend Henry Rollins Lists His L.A. Home
- Yellowcard Celebrate 20 Years of ‘One For The Kids’
- Metz’ Tour Equipment Stolen While On The Road
Punktuation Magazine For All Your Daily Punk News, Features, Interviews, Lifestyle and more!